Molly Downey (NutriSense): How A Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) Can Help You Improve Your Blood Sugar Levels #86
5 October 2021
Molly Downey, RDN, LDN is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN), Licensed Dietitian/Nutritionist (LDN) who specializes in glucose control, metabolism and weight loss. She graduated from Indiana University-Bloomington and currently works as a dietitian at Nutrisense (@nutrisensio), a health technology company which leverages continuous glucose monitors (CGMs) as a way to optimize diet, health and overall wellbeing.
In episode 86, I speak with Molly Downey (Nutrition Manager at NutriSense) about blood sugar balance and how a continuous glucose monitor can help you achieve better glucose levels. The interview is split into two parts. Part one, Molly and I delve into blood sugar basics. Part two, Molly speaks about NutriSense, what a GGM is, who it's for and how it can help you improve your blood sugar levels.
- Why blood sugar balance is an important component people should focus on when looking to improve their health
- Causes of blood sugar fluctuations/swings
- Signs/symptoms of high and low blood sugar
- Optimal blood sugar ranges
- Healthy/normal increases in blood sugar
- What factors impact how your body responds to a meal. For example, why might eating the same meal but at a different time in the day cause a different glucose response?
- Do you need to eat a specific macronutrient first to avoid spikes in blood sugar caused by a meal
- Tests someone can do to find out if they have insulin resistance or diabetes
- What should you do to lower your high morning blood sugar and why might blood sugar spike in the night/early morning- while you sleep?
- What can affect someone's carb tolerance? Why do some people respond fine when they eat more carbs in a meal but someone else might respond badly and have a very high spike
- Who is Nutrisense, what is a CGM and how it can help optimize your glucose levels
- CGM vs glucose meter
- Red flags/signs of insulin resistance
- Interpreting my CGM readings(walking through my data as an example)
- Tips/steps to take to work on lowering blood sugar.
This was a really interesting episode to record. I really enjoy reviewing new health products, and the CGM device is definitely another tool in my toolbox! Blood sugar has been something I wanted to learn more about and improve (because things are never perfect, there's always room for improvement!). Honestly, it was such a great experience, I absolutely loved all the data and analytics the CGM and app provide. At first the data was a little overwhelming, but the educational library and the registered dietitians are super helpful. With all the information I obtained from using I CGM, I was able to make some changes in my diet and lifestyle to see improvements in my energy, mood and concentration.
The CGM is definitely a device/tool I would recommend to anyone who is looking to optimize their blood sugar levels.
Hey there! I am Despina Pavlou, founder of PCOS Oracle, certified personal trainer and corrective exercise specialist. I want to share with you the diet and lifestyle changes I made to naturally reverse my PCOS and achieve hormonal balance. I believe using my holistic approach you too can take back control from PCOS.
In episode 93 of The PCOS Oracle Podcast, I speak with Dr. Aumatma who debunks some very popular fertility myths and speaks about how to prepare for your fertility journey.
In episode 92, Mel Kaye shares her PCOS journey from diagnosis to healing. Mel discusses the key areas to focus on while on your PCOS healing journey. We delve into diet, exercise, stress management and mindset. Mel also provides simple actionable tips and steps for you to implement.
I speak with Megan Leigh about the lessons she has learned as a fitness competitor, popular fitness myths, how reverse dieting can be good for weight loss and Megan touches on what body neutral fitness is.